Tuesday, August 31, 2010

From text to talk (Blog#1)

One item I believe has been remediated is a book to book on tape. Over the summer I was working long hours and didn't have time to sit down and read a book. So I decided that I would listen to a book on tape while I commute and while I work. I believe this change from a physical book to book on tape is a good example of remediation. The original book would probably be just a normal book, but the audio I listened to was an mp3 I downloaded to my iPod. Going from a cassette/CD (I don't know the original medium) to the mp3 was also a form of remediation.

Going from a physical text to cassette/CD to an mp3 is a good example of remediation as reform because going from a text to an audio version made the story accessible to me while not having access to the physical text book or time/place to read said book. We can also say that going from cassette/CD to mp3 is also remediation because instead of having to carry around multiple cassettes/CDs I could carry the full story on one small device. Thus rehabilitating the media.

1 comment:

  1. Good start, Erik - in your posts try to fill in more of the gaps, such as answering "but WHY" as attached to any of your statements. Usually this can be done by working directly w/ some quotations, arguing for/against something, etc. More depth, basically. :) But a good start nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete